Quinquennial Inspection Report by Grant Elliott for St John the Evangelist, Cotehill for the Parish of Scotby and Cotehill with Cumwhinton. The church is of simple design with steeply pitched Westmorland slate roofs and stone walls. The church was designed in 1868 by Habersham and Brock architects from London. It is in the Early English style with its tre-foil pointed windows that includes a slightly more elaborate approach on the west elevation and the porch where a string course wraps over the window and door heads. The buttresses and tower complete this stylistic approach.
Mixed Use, Refurbishment
Notable external features on the church include its thin North East tower, which originally had an odd stupa-like top with pigeon holes. The interior is light and bright and also reflects the Early English period with its scissor beam roof structure, the point decorated Chancel arch and the delightful stiff-leaf ornamentation on the head of the arch pilasters.
The highlight of the interior is the stained glass windows. The north east of the nave has two windows, designed by Henry Holliday, to St James and St John. Henry Holliday was a Victorian artist of some note artist from the Pre Raphaelite movement. The beautiful east window represents ‘The Ascended Christ adored by Saints, Kings and Angels’ and uses luscious colours; the work is thought to be by Suffling or Swaine Bourne. The window tracery alludes more to the Decorated Period and the window dominates the Chancel that seems to have been designed as an elaborate frame. Finally, the south west window is dated 1899 and shows Jesus carrying a lamb, representing ‘Christ the Good Shepherd’ and a lady carrying a child, representing ‘Charity’. The work is by A Seward of Lancaster.