Two new office buildings on the emerging Science Park, which will add to the Phase One cluster around the Science Park Centre. Building One is 17,000 sq ft and is subdivided vertically into two equal spaces. Building Two provides a further 10,000 sq ft.
These are the first stand-alone spaces on the Science Park, providing flexible accommodation options for both office and/or laboratory use, specifically aimed at users who have progressed beyond the initial research stages of their business, and now require larger premises to develop that business further, whilst remaining within the Science Park campus and its scientific environment.
17000 sqft & 10,000 sqft
Each has been designed to provide a significant degree of flexibility during its life to allow the building to potentially be subdivided in a number of configurations ranging between a single occupier double storey unit of 1600 sq m to 8 single storey units of 200 sq. m each.
The linear, simple rectangular footprint has a particular resonance with larger, local historical agricultural buildings and as such the proposal is to clothe the building form in brickwork. The building elevations will consist principally of a simple and robust facing brick of rectangular shape, with inset panels of a mixture of glazed elements / flat metal panel inserts.
As a modern reference to the patchwork repairs found in historical buildings, we propose randomly interspersing brightly coloured glazed bricks within the wall panels, which will provide flashes of colour within the dark more monochromatic background, providing interest and identity to the building.
LHC has also been commissioned to design the hard and soft landscape setting and planting around the buildings.