The Church of St Leonard is a Grade 2 listed Georgian church on Wolborough Street, Newton Abbot. The building has been deconsecrated and has been put to secular use. It currently stands empty and various proposals are being considered to give it a new life.
LHC has been commissioned by Teignbridge District Council to develop concept proposals for an adjacent community facility to house the various third sector parties across the town in one area and to create work hubs.
The church was built in 1835 by Richard Millward and is of Devon limestone rubble with freestone dressings, octagonal turrets and a slate roof. The Chancel and a number of internal alterations were later carried out by JW Rowell in 1876.
The concept proposals for the new community building will see the church and new extension provide much needed facilities for the town. The new-build element would be sensitively connected to the Church via a glass atrium over an internal courtyard. The scheme will also improve much needed disabled access into the original church. The project is a partnership scheme together with Newton Abbot Town Council.